by Arlene Sousa
• 4-6 slices of hake
• Juice of one lemon
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• salt and pepper
• 125ml oil
• 25ml butter
• 3 onions, sliced
• 25ml chopped parsley
• 200ml white wine
• 100ml tomato puree
• 10ml flour
• 50ml port wine
• Marinade the fish lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper.
• Place half the oil and butter in a large frying pan with a lid.
• Add half the onions. Layer the fish on top of the onions.
• Add the remaining onions, the parsley and white wine.
• Pour rest of the oil over the fish (optional) and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
• This dish is traditionally served with mash potatoes, so prepare mashed potatoes and pipe a border on a serving dish and spoon fish into the center.
• Mix the tomato puree with the flour, a little water and the port wine.
• Add to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning and pour over the fish.
• Serves 4-6 people