While criticism against South Africa continue on the African continent and several parts of the world about the recent violence against foreigners living in the country, the fact that the violence might not have happened in the first place had a foreign national not shot and killed a local taxi driver in Pretoria seems to be over looked.
Recent developments which have negatively affected peace and stability in South Africa have resulted in the country calling on government authorities to revisit one of the most serious topics in modern history – the death penalty.
It is common knowledge that chapter 2, section 11 of the Bill of Rights in the constitution clearly states that everyone has the right to life but there have been debates whether South Africa has a case to reintroduce the death penalty or not. The death sentence was abolished in 1995 by then Constitutional Court president, Arthur Chaskalson.
It has now become even more critical for all South African leaders and indeed citizens of this country to put their differences aside and come together and in one voice to once and for all expel the sickness of Xenophobia from all corners of Mzansi.
What has been happening in the country during the past month cannot be allowed to continue and this not at the expense of the safety of innocent populations on the African continent.
This week Mafikeng Mail reviews the illegal grabbing of land from the Extension 39 residents - who claims they were called to register for houses in the area called Phase 5 housing development for the residents. The residents, who were fuelled with anger following empty promises of constructing phase 5, expressed their distress regarding housing development in the area, chanting phrases of “Forward with shacks, forward”.
Thabo, one of the residents said: “We want to occupy all the empty spaces in Extension 39 so that the people can build themselves shacks to live in. The reason is we want the government to come to the people. The Ward Councillor told us to register for houses, but until today nothing has happened so, forward with shacks, forward”.
We hope that many if not most or even the majority of South Africans had the opportunity to watch the live interview on the SABC’s morning live show on Tuesday morning during which news anchor, Leanne Manas interviewed the national department of transport’s Zaph Chuwe discussing the public reactions to the newly signed bill on the Administrative and Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) Act.
The bill was signed into law last week by President Cyril Ramaphosa.