Eskom will not cut the power

Posted in Latest News

Klerksdorp Midweek, Klerksdorp - Eskom is not going ahead with power cuts from 12 November. Spokesperson Khaya Mnyandu confirmed on Thursday 5 November that Eskom withdrew its decision to interrupt bulk electricity supply to the City of Matlosana Local Municipality.

“This is due to ongoing attempts to collect outstanding monies between the municipality and Eskom,’’ he said.

Ntswaki Makgetha, municipal spokesperson, confirmed that the municipality paid R18,8 million to Eskom last week.

Civil rights organisation Afriforum said they also threatened Eskom as well as the municipality to declare it unconstitutional if they continued with their threat to cut electricity to the municipality from 12 November.

Jaco Grobbelaar of Afriforum said it is a human rights violation. “Residents who pay their account regularly will suffer because the municipality failed to pay Eskom, meaning residents are punished for the municipality’s negligence and that is unacceptable,’’ he said.

He said that another solution for the problem must be found, and not at the expense of the ratepayers.

Currently, the Matlosana Municipality is busy with debt collections with a view of collecting money owed to the Municipality.

“The Management still urges and encourages consumers, especially businesses and government departments to settle and/or pay their municipal accounts. The City’s management apologises to the public regarding the Eskom matter,’’ Makgetha said.

UA-34820896-1