Klerksdorp Midweek, Klerksdorp – President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a national state of emergency in connection with the Covid-19 threat.
“We are now dealing with internal transmission of the virus. We are taking drastic and urgent measures.
We declare a national state of disaster,’’ he said in his televised speech addressing the nation on Sunday 15 March.
Schools will now close on Wednesday 18 March until after Easter weekend.
Klerksdorp schools communicated on social media about the closure as well as cancellation of sport tours and school activities.
President Ramaphosa also imposed a travel ban on foreigners from high risk countries (Europe, China) as of Wednesday 18 March. All visas have been cancelled. South Africans were advised to refrain against travel to these countries.
Other highlights from his speech:
- 35 land entry ports will be closed.
- Non-essential domestic travel are discouraged.
- Limit contact amongst groups of people.
- Gatherings of more than 100 people are prohibited.
- Mass celebrations are cancelled.
- Visits to correctional services are suspended for 30 days.